HIGH POINT Mr. Billy (Bill) Thomas Hylton, 86, resident 1401 Kensington Dr., died February 15th, 2013. Bill will be remembered for his wonderful sense of humor and his quick wit.
A native and lifelong resident of Guilford County, Bill was born September 10th, 1926 in High Point, a son to the late William Eric Hylton and the late Lodessa Tuggle Hylton. He was educated in the High Point City School System and was a 1943 graduate of High Point High School, currently High Point Central High School. Following graduation, he first worked with the Department of Defense in the Pentagon and later in that same year (1943), joined the U.S. Navy Air Force as an Aviation Cadet in the V5 USNR Program. After being discharged in June of 1947, he immediately enrolled at High Point College, currently High Point University, graduating Cum Laude in 1949 with a B.A. Degree in Mathematics and English. While in college, he lettered in soccer and baseball, was a member of the Order of the Lighted Lamp, and also a member of TKE Fraternity. Bill was also a (GRI), graduating from the Realtors Institute of UNC-Chapel Hill in 1955. After graduating from HPU, Bill worked a couple of years at Wachovia Bank in High Point until starting what became his life's work in the real estate business.
In 1950, Bill joined Curtis Smithdeal, Inc., which at the time was one of High Point's leading real estate companies. In 1954, he founded and was president of his company, Bill Hylton, Inc., specializing in sales, property management and appraisals. He served as President from 1954 until 1996. In 1983 he and Ron Crowder founded Hylton-Crowder & Associates, Inc., where he served as president. A member for 42 years and in 1963 president of the High Point Board of Realtors, he served on and chaired most of its committees, some two or three times. He also served as president of the Multiple Listing Service in High Point. Also active at state and national levels, Mr. Hylton was a member of the North Carolina Association of Realtors for 39 years. His activities included: member of the Board of Directors (1963-1964) and vice-president in 1965.